Flex 360 Indy – Day 1 – Bugquash

After an evening of beer and White Castle burgers in Indianapolis, I was actually to able to wake up at 9:00 AM this morning to attend the Flex Bugquash.  The day started a bit slow when the Adobe connect information was not immediately posted, however, it ended up being a pretty successful opportunity where Flex SDK bugs were indeed quashed. Vera Carr, associate product manager gave the a talk to start off the bug quash. She talked about how many bugs have been fixed in the community, what the process is and motivation for everyone to get involved. I was surprised to learn that only 40% of patches submitted get accepted by the SDK team. I thought our number was much higher. Vera pointed out the main reasons that patches get rejected which included reasons like:

1) The fix would bloat the code and only be relevant for 20% of the community (or less) while hindering the other 80%.

2) The fix is too narrow and doesn’t think about other scenarios.

3) The fix breaks backwards compatibility

4) The fix doesn’t follow good coding standards.

They will likely post the slides from Vera’s talk on the bugquash site in no time at all.

During the day, we only had about 10-15 people in the room in Indy and another 10+ developers online, but, we actually accepted a good number of patches. Our dev team accepted seven patches today and still have a handful to review that were submitted today. I think that is pretty awesome. Luckily, we had a decent number of developers on hand to help people set up their environments and learn the best coding practices. I didn’t do too much except run tests on some patch builds.

I think that all of the people who had accepted patches today were pretty awesome. The developers who had patches accepted today included:

Matt Couch (3)

Nate Beck

Abdul Qabiz (2)

Marcus Christie

Nice job!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: